Do you want to know how #mapping is done? How to work with #arduino? Or what the #internet IoT is? On the One Year Course in Digital Arts and Experience Design you will get to learn how video, sound, image and spaces design combine to achieve a wider, more diverse result with the ability of transforming the role of spectator from a passive receiver into an active participant. During the academic year, the student will respond to the new order of R+D in the cultural and technology sectors, placing the student between audio-visual method and artistic creativity, the engines of the new technologies, innovation and entrepreneurship.
The design and audiovisual production markets are inundated with terms like #interaction, #mapping, #wearables, #internet_of_things, #bending, #UX, #AR, #VR, etc. The emergence of the Internet, the boom of social networks and the development of new digital tools have opened a world of possibilities for audiovisual designers/artists that only a few years ago was unimaginable.
New creators repurpose their studios to become laboratories in which they merge traditional knowledge with new and varied types of content. Additionally, they use new tools for research, development and prototyping. Video, sound, image and design spaces combine to achieve a wider, more diverse result with the ability of transforming the role of spectator from a passive receiver into an active participant.
In a time of change like this, it is absolutely essential to provide students not only with knowledge and skills but also with resources for gathering information on the new communities and knowing how to position their products and services on the internet and how best to bring them to their clients’ attention. It is also crucial to understand the economic and business implications involving the commercial development of an experience.
The One Year Digital Arts and Design Experience Course, directed by Kike Ramirez, has been created with the aim of providing an educational response to the changes mentioned above and establishing a community of pioneers and innovators in the field of design, art and technology. Over one academic year, through an intensive online/classroom format, students will respond to the new order of R+D in the cultural and technological sectors, placing the student between audio-visual technical and artistic creativity, the engines of the new technologies, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- To understand how design and technology can be combined to create richer experiences that maximize the impact on viewers, going so far as to make them active participants.
- To place the student at the crossroads between audio-visual technique and artistic creativity, the engines of the new technologies, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- To grasp the concept of a "digital culture" and understand its evolution in recent years. To be able to frame the experiences within the current environment, and to provide them with their own meaning going beyond technique and aesthetics.
- To master the new tools of design, prototyping and development of digital and/or interactive content.
- To generate sound, image and 3D-modelling content according to the specific needs of each case, always optimizing their creative and technical quality.
- To have a first taste of several of the most innovative techniques in recent years, such as the IoT (Internet of Things), augmented/virtual reality via Oculus Rift, etc.
- To understand the basics of UX (User Experience) and applying them to the design of experiences and interfaces.
- To acquire the knowledge necessary to develop a business plan and take into account the different economic, technical, geographical and social aspects which may affect each project.
- To get to know the communication strategies required to meet a customer’s needs and optimally defend the proposal.
- To understand concepts regarding strategic vision and branding for product positioning on both the online and bricks and mortar markets.
ABOUT THE ONE-YEAR COURSE
The one-year courses are geared towards rapid professionalization, with a team of prestigious teachers who, acting as project managers, will provide the student with a clear vision of the industry. They will also help students to develop their portfolio, discovering the best methods of understanding and addressing the most promising disciplines within the field of visual production.
The One Year Course in Digital Arts and Experience Design consists of 60 IED credits* structured as follows:
-An attendance-based module (320 hours or 40 IED credits*) whose purpose is to develop at our facilities, with outstanding professionals, the keys to the educational program combining study, research and production projects.
-A distance-learning module (20 IED credits*), which can be accessed through the IED Madrid Campus e-learning platform, including the carrying out of courses that complement the attendance-based module and preparation of the final project.
The One Year Course in Digital Arts and Experience Design includes a free Starter Kit with Arduino + Kit Lilypad ProtoSnap + USB Controller Korg nanoKONTROL Studio.
* The IED credit is the internal system of quantification and teaching validation of the IED Madrid. Each credit reflects the workload from online classes, seminars, study sessions and conducting evaluation tests. For the attendance based modules each credit is the equivalent to 8 hours of teaching. For online modules it’s the equivalent to a workload of between 16 and 20 hours.
STRUCTURE AND SCHEDULES
Attendance-based and online module: January to July 2016.
Presentation of the online final project: October 2016.
Attendance-based timetable: Monday through Thursday from 18:00 to 22:00. When there is a need, there could be classes on Fridays.